Now accepting PayPal!
Welcome to The Artist Shop, a music store dedicated to the independent progressive
artist putting out his/her own product. The items we display we buy directly from the
artist or his/her own company. When you buy from these artists you can take pride in the
knowledge that more of your dollar is going directly to the artist than when you buy from
a mainstream, corporate, big business, big bucks, impersonal, conglomerate label. And that
means you're investing in the future of these artists and their continued creation of new
work. It's also been pointed out to us by some artists that there are many
independent progressive labels not owned by artists, but without which many independent
progressive artists would go unheard. So you will also see independent labels that
we consider to 'have a mission!'
And, of course, don't forget to check out ordering
instructions. We are proud to offer SSL Secure Transaction
Processing for your safety and security in on-line ordering!
And if you have any suggestions for our site or know of artists who belong
here, drop us a line and let us know
about it. And as long as I'm being such a pest, please, please, please sign our guest book! It'll help us keep you up to
date on new artists and new releases coming into the store and special events like artist
IRC Chats. And have no fear. We have NO intention of giving, selling or sharing our list
Know what you're looking for and haven't got the time to browse?
Try The Artist Shop's Google Search Engine!
But if you've got the time to browse, check out our special pages
below for our member artists and labels as well as our text catalogs.
- Catalog (text version)
- For those who prefer just text or anyone who wants to print out our catalog. We
have three basic catalogs.
- Artist & Label Members
- those artists and labels with whom we work directly
- Import Text Catalog - Featuring
the latest in general import releases.break da bank slot machine
- General Domestic Text Catalog
- Featuring the latest in progressive domestic releases
But if you want to browse around and discover new things, below is our directory of
member artists and labels. Each page is loaded with graphics, RealAudio soundbites
- Adrian Belew Presents/Strugglebaby Records
- Adrian Belew's label for his own solo work and productions; Strugglebaby is the label
for Adrian's old cohorts in The Bears, now known as the Psychodots.
- Jon Durant's home for himself, Michael Manring, Gary Willis, Caryn Lin, Robby Aceto,
Brian Gingrich and Wayne Krantz & Leni Stern. Also David Torn hangs around this home a
- Kerry Minnear's label for Gentle Giant archival releases.
- Arion Records
- Featuring Glass Hammer!!!
- Audio Fidelity
- Audiophile recordings on gold discs and SACDs for Yes, Vangelis, Bob Dylan, Rush, CSN,
Phil Collins, Joe Walsh, Gary Wright and many more!
- Auntie Social Music
- Featuring music from the legendary voice of Happy Rhodes!
- BGO Records is an independent reissue label specialising in classic highly collectable
recordings of groups, singers and instrumentalists from the fifties through to the
- Buckyball Music
- Vibist Marc Wagnon and vocalist Sarah Pillow's home for jazz and fusion works including
the band, Tunnels, with bassist extraordinaire Percy Jones of Brand X.
- Burning Shed
- No-Man vocalist, Tim Bowness, and Samuel Smiles keyboardist, Peter Chilvers, CD-R label
for archival releases for their work, plus Steve Wilson, Bass Communion, No-Man, Alias
Grace, Darkroom, Navigator and more.
- Camel Productions
- Andy Latimer's new home for Camel.
- Camino Records
- Featuring Steve Hackett of Genesis and GTR.
- Caroline Records
- Featuring the greatest of progressive classics from King Crimson, Mike Oldfield, Brian
Eno, Steve Hackett, Peter Hammill, Van der Graaf Generator, Steve Hillage, Brand X, Neu,
Gong, Japan, Bill Bruford, Robert Fripp, UK, Penguin Cafe Orchestra, Harold Budd, Roger
Eno, John Wetton, Hatfield & the North and many, many more!
- Clearlight 888 Music
- French keyboardist/composer Cyrille Verdeaux as a solo artist and leader of the classic
ensemble Clearlight Symphony
- Crescent Discs
- Phil Miller of Matching Mole, Hatfield & the North, and National Health fame started
Crescent Discs for his In Cahoots and solo output.
- A giant among progressive labels featuring Boud Deun, Soft Machine, Hugh Hopper, Henry
Kaiser, Happy the Man, Bird Songs of the Mesozoic, Phil Miller, The Muffins, Heldon and so
- King Crimson, Robert Fripp, Peter Hammill, Trey Gunn, Leagues of Gentlemen and Crafty
Guitarists, California Guitar Trio and more incredible artists!
- echolyn, Inc.
- Featuring Echolyn, Brett Kull, Finneus Gauge, Almost Always and more
- Major distributor of dozens of independent labels!
- Esoteric Recordings
- New progressive label starting with remastered classics from Egg, Rare Bird, Daevid
Allen, Paladin, Marsupilami, Jonesy and Big Sleep and many, many more!
- For CDs that don't otherwise have their own page in The Artist Shop, but should.
- Mike Keneally's Exowax Recordings
- Mike Keneally, Mike Keneally & Beer for Dolphins.
- Expression Records
- Phil Manzanera's label for new releases and reissues of his solo work and group work
with Quiet Sun, 801 and The Explorers with Andy Mackay.
- Fie! Records
- Peter Hammill and David Jackson of Van der Graaf Generator, Judge Smith.
- Floating World
- UK label and distributor carrying titles by Yes, Anthony Phillips, Rick Wakeman, Spirit,
Hawkwind, David Bedford, The Enid, Sonny Landreth, Fish, Gong, Iona, No-Man and much, much
- Hux Records
- A label from the UK specializing in BBC Archival recordings for progressive and classic
rock artists like Soft Machine, Neil Innes, Family, Focus, Pentangle, Gentle Giant,
Caravan, Kevin Ayers, Be Bop Deluxe, Pip Pyle, Gryphon, Elton Dean and many, many more!
- Inside Out America
- New label for progressive music including The Flower Kings, Ayreon, Platypus, Arena,
Derek Sherinian, Planet X, Mastermind, Threshold, Enchant, Pain of Salvation,
Ten Jinn and so many more!
- Jade Warrior
- Legendary band from the 70's blending progressive rock with world music from all over
the globe still making great music today
- Post progressive label featuring the latest from Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Richard
Barbieri, Gavin Harrison, Nosound, Anekdoten, Blackfield, Steven Wilson, Pineapple Thief
- Linden Music
- Home of Kit Watkins from Happy the Man and Camel. Kit's music ranges from progressive to
ambient, world music, electronic and much more.
- Magna Carta
- Features Bozzio/Levin/Stevens, Tempest, Magellan, Cairo, World Trade, Shadow Gallery,
Royal Hunt, Altura, Enchant, Lemur Voice
- Manticore Records
- Resurrection of the classic label for Emerson, Lake & Palmer's group and solo works.
- Masters of Art
- (Motto: 'Loud Music For Quiet People') is the label run by Judge Smith to manufacture
and release CDs of his own projects.
- Medium Productions
- Formed by Steve Jansen, Richard Barbieri & Mick Karn all formerly of Japan and Rain
- Mobile Fidelity
- The undisputed pioneer and leader in audiophile recordings since the company's inception
- MoonJune Records
- For music where the crossroads of progressive and jazz meet. Includes Soft
Machine, Tripod, DFA, Finisterre and many Soft Machine related artists.
- Renowned French progressive label featuring Minimum Vital, Anekdoten, Anglagard,
Finisterre, Galadriel, Kerrs Pink, Osiris, Quidam, Sebastian Hardie, Trace, Benoit
Widemann, and so many, many more!
- Noisy Records
- Noisy Records is the home for the music of violinist David Cross, famed for his tenure
in King Crimson during the Lark's Tongue, Starless & Bible Black, and Red era.
- One Step Records
- After too long an absence, Moody Blues keyboardist/vocalist Mike Pinder returns to the
music scene with his own music on his own label.
- Papabear Records
- This homegrown label is owned and operated by Tony Levin of King Crimson and Peter
- ProgRock Records
- New progressive rock label featuring Ajalon, Cryptic Vision, Frameshift, Ghost Circus,
K2, Liquid Scarlet, Lizette &, Lucas White & Edsey, Guy Manning, Henning Pauly,
Salem Hill, Sandstone, Sylvan, Thessera, Under the Sun, Oliver Wakeman, and many more!
- Radiant Records
- Radiant Records is the label for Spock's Beard and Neal Morse!
- Real Gone Music
- Born from the creators of the Collector's Choice and Hep Cat Records labels, Real Gone
Music can be from any era, any genre, from superstar acts or the most overlooked artist -
but if it's REAL GONE, it's an essential recording coming to you with excellent sound and
packaging, designed to make you feel like you did the first time you bought an album or
single at your local record store. Features artists such as Rick Wakeman, The
Grateful Dead, Dream Academy, Ides of March, Vanilla Fudge, Cannonball Adderly, The Fifth
Dimension, The Mamas & The Papas, BST, Electric Prunes and many more!
- Reissue label based in Germany responsible for great releases of great Progressive and
Classic Rock titles from the likes of Gentle Giant, Jade Warrior, Renaissance, Atomic
Rooster, Marc Bolan, If, Curved Air, Family, Gravy Train, Alvin Lee, Magna Carta,
Mountain, The Move, Pretty Things, Procol Harum, Quatermass, The Zombies and many, many
- ReR Recommended
- Chris Cutler's Rock in Opposition label featuring his own work plus Fred Frith, Art
Bears, Biota, Cassiber, Bob Drake, Faust, The Necks, Jon Rose, Thinking Plague, Tim
Hodgkinson, ZGA and many, many more!
- Frank Zappa, Yoko Ono and John Lennon, Elvis Costello, Richard Thompson, Badfinger,
Bootsy Collins, Bernie Worrell, The Roches, The Residents, Bob Mould, Medeski Martin and
Wood, Kate and Anna McGarrigle, Robert Hunter, Mickey Hart, Fairport Convention, Nick
Drake, Devo, Sandy Denny, Bruce Cockburn, John Cale, and so many more!
- Home to the new works of David Sylvian, Steve Jansen and more!
- Seventh Records
- Home to the classic French band, Magma, along with the solo works of Christian Vander!
- Where you'll find sheet music, books, instructional videos, music equipment and much,
- The Snapper group of labels includes releases by Marillion, Pretty Things, Ozric
Tentacles, Gong, Love, Peter Green, Family and many more.
- The SPV group of labels includes SPV, Revisited, Steamhammer, Yellow Label and more.
- Two labels from Bill Bruford to showcase his jazz and progressive rock leanings.
- Third Contact
- Larry "Synergy" Fast's label to re-release his back catalog and move into the
future. Also features his good friend, Joy Askew.
- Toff Records
- Independent label for the British progressive group Pendragon.
- White Dove
- Featuring Annie Haslam of Renaissance
- Witchwood Records
- The record label of The Strawbs, Acoustic Strawbs and Dave Cousins!
- Wounded Bird Records
- Wounded Bird Records was formed in 1998 as a label that specializes in the reissue of
albums from the 60's, 70's and early 80's on compact disc!
- Zomart Records
- Zomart Records is the home of former Van der Graaf Generator bassist and solo artist Nic
- New Labels - Page 1
- Established artists like Mark Craney & Friends, Doane Perry of Jethro Tull.
Also look for biographies of John Wetton and Vangelis.
- All lovers of progressive music should check out this great progressive journal!
- Japanese mini-LP sleeve baggies, round bottom CD sleeves, etc.
* * *
- Overstock Sale
- Overstock items being let go at a reduced price
- Gift Certificates
- For the discriminating gift giver to give to the discriminating music lover!
- The Artist Shop FAQ
- Newsletter Updates
- Check out our newsletter with information on the latest releases, tour dates, IRC Chats,
- Links Page
- The success of The Artist Shop will be due in no small part to all our friends
throughout the 'net who have been so kind to add links from their site to ours. I hope
you'll check them out.
- IRC Page
- Our new page to give you information about our IRC Chats with various musicians.
Send inquiries/suggestions/etc. to
email@example.com. Questions on management, public relations or booking issues
regarding artists in The Artist Shop will be forwarded to the proper persons.
© 2012 The Artist Shop/The Other Road